The Gender Mainstreaming Directorate was set up in support of effort to promote gender equity at various levels of the educational arena in Ghana and to ensure that gender gains the needed focus in various university activities.
The Gender Mainstreaming Directorate shall be recorgnized internationally as an icon in Gender Mainstreaming in higher education.
To be a centre of excellence, which create and sustains an environment and culture which ensures gender sensitivity and equity for the benefit of, UEW, Ghana and the international community.
The ultimate goal of the Gender Mainstreaming Directorate is to promote and facilitate gender equity and equality and women's empowerment at the University of Education, Winneba.
- To promote gender equality and women's empowerment in UEW
- To enhance UEW's ability to respond to gender issues
- To facilitate the integration of gender into UEW's curricular and activities
- To engender partnerships and make UEW Visible
- Gender Sensitization and awareness
- Gender Capacity building Mentoring
- women's professional development
- Gender Mainstreaming
- Gender and HIV/AIDS
MAJOR SUPPORT SCHEMES
- Scholarships for Female Science Students
- Scholarships for Female Faculty to pursue PhD programmes
- Mentoring Schemes for Female Senoir Members
- Sponsorship for Female Senoir Members to attend local and international conferences
- Short term appointmant for experienced female professors from foreign universities
- Support for the professional development of women in UEW
- Educational campaigns on gender based violence
- Gender Club
OUTREACH PROGRAMMES & NETWORKING
- Radio Talk Shows on gender issues on Radio Windy Bay
- Gender Newsletters, Flyers, Posters
- Website www.uew.edu.gh
- Partnership with NGOs to empower women in the deprived communities near Winneba
- Sensitization os school children and other youth groups
- Members of African Universities Gender Resource Network (AUGERN)