2019 End of Year Message by the Vice-Chancellor to the Members of the University Community
Colleague Lecturers, Staff, Students, Members of the University community, Season's Greetings to you all. I know you are looking forward to the coming Christmas and the rest of the holidays that lie ahead of us. It is also that time of the year when you take some rest, spend time with your family, friends and loved ones and, as well make merry, because another Christmas is here again.
This break also marks the end of another year and it is time for us to pause and engage in sober reflections over some of the major positive events and achievements that we, here in UEW, can look back upon and celebrate with deep gratitude to our Gracious God as well as some level of pride. In the year 2019, through the grace of God,
- We successfully launched our 2019-2023 Strategic Plan which outlines my Vision for the University in the next five years. Through this Strategic Plan, we intend to take the University to even greater heights and make it one of the best institutions in the world.
- We successfully witnessed the Inauguration of our new Governing Council in September by His Excellency the President through the Honourable Minister of Education, Dr. Matthew Opoku Prempeh.
- We were 3rd in rankings of the top Universities in Ghana.
- UEW has been adjudged the fastest growing and most populous university in the country, with a total population of 85,004 postgraduate, undergraduate, regular, distance, weekend and sandwich students scattered across our four campuses and over 40 Distance Education Study Centres.
- UEW presented about 80% of the experts that designed the new T-TEL Curriculum for the Colleges of Education and other tertiary institutions. We must all be proud of our excellent collection of Faculty.
- We have fully completed the construction of 4 Lecture Theatres, each with a seating capacity of 500. Six more will be completed in 2020. An additional two will also be commissioned at our Kumasi campus, while our Mampong campus will witness the construction of two of these much-needed Lecture Theatres.
- On Sunday, December 2, our COLTEK campus at Kumasi hosted His Excellency the President of the Republic who came to commission our ultra-modern COTVET laboratory and workshops and broke ground for the construction of the TVET/ COTVET Skills Examinations Centre.
- The challenge of space for lectures and demonstrations is being tackled aggressively.
- We have also constructed a modern Food Court for students, the first of its kind at the Faculty of Educational Studies Block at our Winneba campus in the University.
- COLTEK has seen a major facelift with the asphalting of the entire campus, completion of a number of renovations including the main administration building and the near completion of the first set of University Practice Basic School.
- We have widely expanded and provided wifi access to the point where students no longer have to cluster around the Central Administration blocks or any other block to access wifi. Wherever our students are, there is wifi.
- We promoted more staff this year than any other year in the history of this University. Within the two years of my administration, over 150 senior members have been promoted from one level to another.
- We successfully conducted the Pro-VC elections leading to the appointment of a substantive Pro-VC.
- Apart from the President and Vice President of the Republic who each visited us twice within the last two years, we have, in the months of November and December, 2019, proudly and successfully hosted two very important personalities as Guest Speakers for two important events: the Okyenhene Osagyefo Amoatia Ofori-Panin for the second Silver Jubilee Anniversary Lecture, and the Speaker of PARLIAMENT, Rt. Hon, Rev Professor Ambassador Mike Aaron Ocquaye for the commemoration of International Human Rights Day.
- We increased research output and sponsored more faculty members to international academic conferences.
- In addition, for the first time in the history of this University, we initiated a professional development workshop for staff aimed at sharping their skills to help accelerate promotions.
- We have started the construction of a state-of-the-art Student Center that will be an excellent edifice and place of academic excellence, business, and leisure for our much-loved students.
The year 2020 promises to be another excellent year under my administration. I am exceptionally thrilled that we shall have the opportunity to employ more staff to support the University’s progressive activities and initiate more student-centred activities and infrastructure.
I acknowledge that there will be challenges in the year 2020, but by the grace of the Almighty, with the wonderful support of you our dedicated staff, hardworking students and other loyal members of the university community, we are confident that, greater grounds will be broken, greater opportunities await us, and greater achievements shall be chalked.
On behalf of the Governing Council, my Management Team, and on my own behalf, I want to thank you sincerely for the marvelous support we enjoyed from you during the year 2019.
In the year New Year of 2020, I look forward to seeing everyone better, stronger and with more passion and dedication towards moving our beloved UEW forward.
Christmas is that unique Solemnity on which to celebrate the sharing of God Himself with us through the generous mingling of Jesus Christ, Our Immanuel. May this season see us sharing our great gifts with each other so as to become stronger and better people.
May you have the best of Christmas and may your holidays be blessed abundantly!
Once again, Merry Christmas and a Prosperous New Year to you all!!!
Rev. Fr. Prof. Anthony Afful-Broni, PhD
Office of the Vice-Chancellor