Appointment of Vice-Chancellor, UEW
The GOVERNING COUNCIL of the University of Education, Winneba (UEW) announces that the position of VICE-CHANCELLOR of the University shall become vacant on 1st October, 2021.
The University of Education, Winneba (UEW) was established in September, 1992 as a University College under the PNDC Law 322 and became a fully fledged University on 14th May, 2004 by the enactment of the University of Education, Winneba Act 2004 (Act 672) as amended by Act 1026. The University is charged with the responsibility of producing professional educators to spearhead a new national vision of education aimed at redirecting Ghana’s effort along the path of rapid economic and social development. UEW is expected to play a leading role in the country’s drive to produce scholars whose knowledge would be fully responsive to the reality and exigencies of contemporary Ghana and the West African-Sub-Region.
The Vice-Chancellor is the Executive Head of the University and is responsible, to the Council of the University, for both the Academic and Administrative functions of the University. He/she is charged with the promotion of quality higher education and the provision of academic and administrative leadership. He/she is also responsible for initiating new directions in the academic development of the University and for implementing the University’s Strategic Plan. The Vice-Chancellor is the Chief Disciplinary Officer of the University and exercises general disciplinary functions over both members of staff and students subject to the Statutes and all other regulations/policies of the University.
- Must be of professorial status or its equivalent;
- Must be a doctorate degree holder;
- Must be able to serve a full FOUR-YEAR Term of Office before attaining the compulsory retiring age of SIXTY (60).
In addition to the above, the applicant:
- Must be a nationally and an internationally recognised and/or distinguished Scholar with a capacity to motivate and direct Staff;
- Must have the capacity to raise funds and other resources for research and other development activities;
- Must exhibit a high sense of industry, leadership qualities and organizational skills;
- Must be circumspect and above reproach;
- Must possess excellent communication and other interpersonal skills and capacity to manage and control crises situation;
- Must be visionary, business-oriented and able to establish rapport between industry and the University for a common purpose;
- Must be sober with maturity and drive for sound and impartial judgment.
TERM OF APPOINTMENT
- The Appointment, which is full-time, shall be for FOUR (4) YEARS in the first instance and may be renewed for a final term of up to Four (4) years only.
- Salary and Condition of Service attached to the position are attractive.
Interested applicants are requested to submit their Application Letters together with Eight (8) copies of the following:
- Curriculum Vitae, including Names and Addresses of Three (3) Referees;
- Recommendations from three (3) Referees to be forwarded to the Search Committee before the stated deadline. Applicants must ensure that the referees meet the deadline; and,
- A 1200 word Statement of Candidate’s Vision for the University
Applications should be forwarded under REGISTERED COVER marked “APPLICATION FOR VICE-CHANCELLOR, UEW” to reach the following addresses, not later than FRIDAY, 30TH APRIL, 2021.
Search Committee for Vice-Chancellor
c/o The Registrar
University of Education, Winneba
Search Committee for Vice-Chancellor
c/o The Office Manager
Universities of Ghana
Ghana Universities House
321 City Road
London ECIV ILJ