Measures to Contain the Spread of COVID-19 on our Campuses
On Monday 18th May, 2020, the Director of University Health Services informed Management that a staff on our Winneba Campus had tested positive for COVID-19 and has, subsequently, been moved to the National Isolation Centre by the National Response Team.
Measures were immediately put in place to decontaminate all affected spaces, vehicles and walkways. The Directorate of the University Health Services (DUHS) has traced and tested 49 other contacts and they have been counselled and asked to self-isolate for five days. The DUHS will continue to reach out and monitor the identified contacts during the 5-day isolation period.
Management wishes to inform the University community that it is upscaling the precautionary measures earlier announced by the University to include the following:
- There should be strict enforcement of the wearing of nose/face mask for all staff and visitors entering any of our campuses. Anyone who fails to adhere to this directive should not be granted access to any space or facility on any of our campuses.
- All meetings at all levels including Faculty and Departmental ones should be conducted via virtual mode.
- We encourage staff to use electronic mode of communication as much as possible for all official meetings and discussions and only use in-person face-to-face contacts when it is absolutely necessary.
- Heads of department/unit/section are to reduce the number of staff on duty to levels that will ensure adequate observance of the social distancing protocols in office spaces. Any other excess staff should be asked to proceed on leave.
- The DUHS will ensure that all receptions or their front yards have Veronica buckets and alcohol-base sanitizers always available for use by staff and visitors accessing the premises. Our staff and Security personnel at the reception shall ensure strict compliance with the hand-washing precautionary measure.
- The DUHS will continue the contact tracing exercise and accordingly update Management.
Management urges everyone to religiously observe the precautionary measures that have been put in place to help contain the spread of the virus.
Stay safe, protect yourself and protect the University Community.