UEW Holds Matriculation for 10,136 CODeL Students

The University of Education, Winneba (UEW) has held a virtual matriculation ceremony for 10,136 College for Distance and e-Learning (CODeL) fresh students for the 2021/2022 academic year. 

The ceremony was held at the Johpus Anamuah-Mensah Conference Centre, North Campus, Winneba on Saturday, July 16, 2022. It was attended in person by fresh students from the Winneba Study Centre and virtually by students from the 41 other study centres.

The Vice-Chancellor, Prof. Mawutor Avoke, when addressing the matriculants, assured them that their enrolment at the UEW marked a turning point in both their life and the development of their academic and professional careers expounding that the University would give them comprehensive education so that they could serve as a source of enlightenment to members of their local and global community.  

Prof. Mawutor Avoke in his address inspires matriculants to find the learning space suitable for them as they seek to increase productivity

The Vice-Chancellor expressed excitement to be matriculating the first batch of 185 and 12 students from the Teshie Military Academy and Jachie Pramso study centres respectively, who enrolled on the undergraduate distance education programmes at the new centres. 

He revealed that the University had invested in Optical Mark Reader (OMR) technology for efficient processing of examination tasks. He indicated that the University Management believe it would help in the timely release of the students’ quizzes and examination results. 

A cross-section of students who were present at the ceremony

Prof. Avoke pointed out that the University continues to organise capacity-building workshops to orient tutors on modern trends in tertiary education and the new standards-based curriculum rolled out by the National Council for Curriculum and Assessment (NaCCA), which is a significant shift from the old objectives-based curriculum. 

He advised the matriculants to endeavour to acquire relevant digital skills and equipment to leverage technology and digitalisation in their pursuit of excellence. He also entreated them to create space for learning whether their workstation is their library or their kitchen table.  

“It is critical to ascertain the atmosphere that will be most productive for you. Try different settings to see which one increases productivity. You will start to establish a routine, and as you follow it consistently, you will construct something. You will be astounded by what you can accomplish,” the Vice-Chancellor said. 

Ag. Registrar, Mrs. Wilhelmina Tete-Mensah speaking to the freshmen

The Ag. Registrar, Mrs. Wilhelmina Tete-Mensah took the matriculants through the University’s policies and requirements for matriculation. She admonished them to study the rules and regulations of the University carefully to ensure that they are well informed on issues on the University. She also encouraged them to sign the matriculation register to confirm their studentship. 

“As freshmen and women, we expect that you’ll make judicious use of opportunities and facilities available to you as students of this University so that at the end of the day, you will be a blessing not only to your families but also to Ghana our motherland. It is the responsibility of all of us to promote the image of our noble institution positively and also shape the destiny of our nation. Our individual and collective efforts in this regard should positively impact our nation,” the Ag. Registrar stated. 

A total of 10,136 applicants were admitted at the close of applications for the 2021/2022 academic year. Out of this number, 4,077 applicants representing 40.22% are males while the remaining 6,059 applicants representing 59.78% are females. The distribution along the various levels comprises 711 diploma programmes representing 7.02%; 3,639 degree programmes representing 35.90%; 4,884 post-diploma representing 48.18%; and 902 postgraduate studies representing 8.90%.